Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Maryland Sheep & Wool 2010 Part III: Goodies

I had so much fun at the festival this year! I think as I learn more about knitting and spinning and so forth, I have more questions to ask about different sheep wool, hand, etc etc.

This year I bought a wonderful collection of different sheep breed wool in their natural beauty. Take a look:

Dark Icelandic roving 2 oz
Three shades of Jacob Roving 2 oz each, 6 oz total
Shetland roving 4 oz
Polwarth roving 4 oz
Falkland roving 4 oz
Coopworth roving 4 oz
BFL roving 4 oz
(I had so much trouble finding natural colored BFL!)
And a lovely circle of natural colored roving.

One of my goals this year was to find myself a nice multi-colored fleece. I was hoping to get some colored shetland wool, but couldn't find any. Fortunately I chatted with a really lovely lady and decided to get 1/2 fleece (2.75 pounds) of her Border Leicester wool. Take a peek.

It's a lovely multi-colored wool with rich lustrous locks. She said since it rained 4 days straight right before shearing, there were some tough tips, but they should wash out. I hope so. mmm stinky. It lives outside on the balcony right now.
I also got a flicker from Carolina Homespun.

A Louet high-speed bobbin.
When I showed the man my bobbin, he let out a sigh and said, "wow, that's an old Louet!" I heard that three more times and ultimately decided that the new bobbins should fit on the "old Louet" (approx 50-60 years old). It works wonders on the wheel, and looking forward to spinning faster and finer.

Oh yes I almost forgot:


I got 6 skeins from Old Mill Yarn. This is Davidson Domy Heather, a wonderfully affordable shetland wool yarn. I want to dye some of it and make a nice fair-isle cardigan/sweater out of it. Funny, this is the only yarn I got!

Let's get to some spinning!

No comments: