Friday, May 21, 2010

Any chance for a wollmeise?

Something my dad says in Japanese:

毒を食らわば皿まで.

Which roughly translates to: If you're eating poison, might as well eat the plate it's on.

...so if you're going the distance, go all the way.

After spending gobs of money on yarn and fiber, I am strangely attracted to seeing if I can wrestle other knitters from around the globe to get my knitting fingers on that famous wollmeise yarn. It's sort of scary...to me it's an apex of yarn collecting. I felt like a champion when I squeezed through to get some socks that rock at MDSW last year. This seems far more intense.

People seem to collect it and not knit with it as much. On ravelry, there are 2500+ projects on the 80/20 sock yarn, but it's stashed 14,000+ times. For comparison sakes, one of my favorite workhorse yarns Cascade 220 is used in 51,000+ projects and stashed 30,000+ times. Heh.

The wollmeise store is always empty, and folks speak of cartjacking (taking someone else's yarn in their cart and purchasing it) and stalking the website for updates. Now that's hard core.

So I did my homework and found out that the store is updated late night on Thursday and Friday EDT.

I'm staying up to finish some rush jobs anyway, so why not give it a shot? I'm not familiar with the colorways, and not too concerned since I'm sure all of it is just plain gorgeous. I want to see the colors and the hand of the yarn in person. One person in my knitting group got it, but I never saw the skeins.

Wisconsin motto: Forward!

No comments: