Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Zucchini and the Yellow Squash

The small balcony of our apartment is slowly turning into a mini-farm. All we need is some nice sheep.

While watching green onion and carrots grow, I thought it would be nice to have some squash. Hey, I heard they were easy to grow, and they make lots. I really like summer squash, so let's give it a go!

I got some seeds at Home Depot on 4/1
Planted them on 4/4
(note to self: don't plant ALL the seeds at once.)
The planter has tangerine seeds

Sprouting already! (4/8)

Cute leaves! (4/10)
Hmm...(4/11)
Asher is way worried that we're going to have too much squash.
So we thinned it out to 4 each. (4/16)
Here we have zucchini
...and yellow squash.
more leaves (4/19)
Take note of the sneaky 5th one that appeared out of nowhere on top right.

Hmm this may be too crowded too...(4/25)
Growing still (4/28)


I also found a nifty way of recycling gallon milk jugs, so I'm growing one zucchini upside-down.
And a yellow squash on top.

If all goes well, we'll have squash by the end of May! Mmm!


No comments: