Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Shawl is done!

I've been very good and have been monogamous in my knitting. So, I finished my gradmother's faroese shawl. Take a look!

Pattern: Faroese shawl by Sivia Harding
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Co. Alpaca Lace

Faroese shawls are shaped in a way that it creates a little dip for the back of your neck, and has a slanted wing shaped so the shawl will rest flat against your body better. The shawl actually stays on my shoulders really well, and I only had to adjust it a few times.

Blocking sure does wonders. Check out the pre-blocked wimpy state:



I must thank Kelley Petkun at KnitPicks to constantly remind her podcast listeners to block knitted work (and make a gauge swatch). I did not fully understand why blocking was so important. Heck, I wore a unblocked shawl for few months before I decided to try on this blocking business.

Now I'm already starting to think about what shawl to knit next. Miralda's shawl from Estonian Knitting by Nancy Bush is looking really good.

I have acquired enough leftover lace yarn and handspun alpaca lace to do one full shawl, so I can probably make a lace shawl and overdye it in one color for harmonious results. I do love the faroese shaping, though. Decisions, decisions.

No comments: